Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2009

How I Started

In July of 2008, after researching for ways to make some money online, I came across Helium. Being a writer all of my life, I thought this would be an excellent way to get my name out there and write for money. But after seven months and writing for pennies, I came to dislike the site for several reasons. In order to receive any payment from Helium, you must first reach a payout amount of $20. Not only to you have to write but you have to rate other articles. Rating for revenue share was simply exhausting and took up a lot of time, especially if you are intent on being fair to the nature of rating. Also, with hundreds of articles smashed under one title, there was nothing that stated that your article would be search-able on any search engine. After trying to keep up with the site and failing miserably, I burned out. I just wasn't making any progress.

In September of 2008, I played with the idea of writing for Associated Content and even signed up. But with visions of Helium dancing in my head, it was a few months before I got up the gumption to write anything for AC.

In January, I finally got the nerve up to write my first article, Train Yourself to Potty Train Your Toddler. I wrote this after having potty training troubles with my son. After seeing some nice results and kind comments, I wrote another article, Writing Your Fiction Query. I had enough support and encouragement, and having been paid upfront for both those articles, I felt that AC was something I could really get into.

After the first month, I'd already made twice as much from Associated Content then I had made in seven months struggling on Helium. AC has become my new home. I have published, to date, 70 articles and have reached a clout of 5. I've seen my page views increase substantially as I learn about the tricks of the trade. Between yesterday and today, I was astonished to see my page views rise 450 just from two articles!

If you'd like to browse through my article catalog, click to view my profile here.

No comments:

Post a Comment