Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Work at Home Myths

I will look at this as part rant, part informational for those considering working at home.  This is also for those who have family that work at home so that you may better understand what it is your family member does on a daily basis.

  • We can lounge around in pajamas all day.  
I don't know about others but I can't just wear pajamas all day.  Well, I guess I could if I wanted to but that isn't the point.  I look at my work at home job like I would an outside job.  I get dressed which helps me mentally prepare for the day.  And lounge? Phhhhpppppt!  Who has time to lounge?  I sit at the computer and I work in between bouts of caring for and playing with my children.

Lounging.  I wish.
  • We don't really "work".  
What is considered work?  Would it be considered work if I got into my car and drove for 30 minutes or more to another building made with wood and concrete to do the same thing I do at home?

For some, work is measured in physical exertion.  But I don't think that applies here.  Someone is considered "working" even if they go to an office and sit behind a desk all day.  Location doesn't matter.  I work.  End of story.
  • We don't make any money.
This was relatively true at first.  But as time goes on, working at home gets more and more lucrative.  You just have to learn and grow, just like with any other business.

  • We make tons of money.
On the flip side, there are people out there who think we're filthy, stinking rich.  That's why I drive a car that 10 years old, right?  While I make some money, it isn't a large amount and not near enough what people generally think I make.
  • We can watch all the TV we want, take breaks anytime, etc.
Blah, blah, blah.  I tend to think that the people who accuse those who work of home of doing nothing but sitting back and watching TV all day are actually expressing their jealousy when they say stuff like this.  I actually don't watch television at all during the day and the only "breaks" I take are child care related.
  • I have all the time in the world to watch your kids, run your errands, etc.
I get so sick of people thinking that I can just take off on a whim.  I have deadlines, I have a paycheck to earn, and I can't do it if you want me to watch your child, go to the bank for you or whatever other insignificant non-emergency thing you want me to do.

Breathe in, breathe out.

This is the biggest problem I have.  But I'm beginning to think it does no good to tell others that I work for a living.  People think that because I'm home, I don't have a "real" job.  But I've written on that before (in this article) so I won't elaborate further.

You wanna work at home?

If you're going to work at home, just know that it takes a lot of real work, determination, and persistence to make it worthwhile.  And it's ten times harder to keep up with when you have children.  You can't just say you want to work at home but then make no effort to do so.  And know that working at home means that you will most likely work HARDER than you did outside the home.  This is especially true when you are first starting out as you learn and create a name for yourself.

Is it worth it?

You betcha!  Now that I've gotten to a point where I'm pulling in a fair amount, I am more confident in the knowledge that I can, in the near future, pull in enough to reach my goals.  But it has taken me a long time to get here and I didn't give up.

If it is something that you really want to do, don't give up on it.  And I would like to recommend a friend's blog called Work at Home where she lays all of her experience out for you for free to let you determine how to best choose how you want to earn your living at home.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the mention Pamela. I have to say each and every point you've made here is true. I have been working from home for nearly 2 years now, during that time I think I have learned something new each day about how to manage my time, increase my earnings and how to make working from home WORK. It takes a real commitment and motivation to be able to work from home to support your family. Some of us have partners who have "real" jobs, and some of us have only ourselves to count on. It can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest to working harder than I did before I worked at home, but it does have perks, and it's beginning to pay off. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Pam. My kids are grown and gone, but I'm still tending to two dogs, one cat, one kitten and a dozen chickens that require my time and attention.

    I do work in my jammies or sweats, though.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete