Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Learning About Osteoarthritis

There's a gene in my family where our bones and joints are susceptible to osteo- conditions.  My grandmother has been bedridden because of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis and just recently, even my father was diagnosed with the same.  Knowing that women are more susceptible than men, it concerned me greatly that it was so prevalent in my family that my father was afflicted.

Being that I'm centered between being considered young and being considered middle-aged, I wondered if I was showing any osteoarthritis symptoms.  I wanted to learn more about it, find out what works, what doesn't, and how to prevent it.

As a result, I've been researching the latest health news on osteoarthritis and have found some interesting things.  Did you know...

  • ...taking Vitamin D hasn't shown any sign of lowering osteoarthritis risk?
  • ...osteoarthritis actually has to do with cartilage degeneration as opposed to bone degeneration like osteoporosis?
  • ...knee pain is often higher in people who also have other joint pain?

Arming myself with knowledge is the best first step I can take to preventing myself from getting osteoarthritis. PP

No comments:

Post a Comment